If you’ve ever used gift cards to make a purchase, you know how tricky it is when the card balance gets down to just a few dollars. You can always try to pay for your next purchase with two forms of payment – the tiny balance from the gift card, plus cash or debit, etc – but I never want to deal with that hassle, and I’ve heard the same from others.
Fortunately, you can easily convert low-balance gift cards into Amazon credit! Please note: when I say gift cards, I mean general, pre-paid cards with the Visa, MasterCard, or American Express symbol. I do not know of any way to convert store or website-specific gift cards like Macy’s, Zappos, etc into Amazon credit.
Just follow these simple steps:
1. Use the phone number or web address on your gift card to check the exact balance. Make a note of the amount.
2. Visit Amazon.com and purchase an Amazon eGift Card to be delivered by email.
3. Amazon allows you to set your own amount for the eGift Card. Enter the exact balance remaining on your gift card. Note: the amount has to be at least 50cents. I tried converting a card that had 44cents remaining, and no can do. But I have been successful with every other amount, including just $1.62. And although others have had issues with it, I’ve never had them hold back any amount for authorization on a low-balance gift card.
4. Enter your email address as the recipient.
5. Proceed to checkout.
6. Select a Payment Method. Here you need to Add a Card. Add the card number and expiration date from your gift card. *NOTE: Gift cards will usually work in brick-and-mortar stores without registering them, but online transactions tend to require it. If you have not registered your gift card, visit the website listed on the card and follow the directions to register it to your name and address. Amazon will ask you to associate the card with a billing address, which should match the address you used when registering the card.
7. Place Your Order.
If all goes well, you should get an email in just a few minutes with an eGift Card from Amazon! Copy and past the code from the email and return to Amazon to Apply a Gift Card To Your Account.
If you’ve done this before and have anything else to add, please let me know! Or if you try this for the first time, let me know how it works out. Happy shopping!